By Bisi Adewale
1. Genuine Conversion: Open your eyes wide. Marry only somebody that is genuinely converted, somebody that fears the Lord. You cannot fair well in the hands of the child of the devil; it will be too dangerous for you to do so.
2. Maturity: There is time for everything. Become matured before you think of marriage; become an adult physically, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, socially and financially. Marriage is not for boys and girls, it is for people who can shoulder responsibilities, people that can carry the burden of others; be mature.
3. Prayer: Lay a solid foundation of prayer for your marriage. Seek God’s face concerning the person you should marry and commit the issue into His hands.
“In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths”.
“Be not wise in thine own eyes, fear the Lord, and depart from evil it shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones”.
4. God’s Leading: In the scripture above, you will discover that it is not just about acknowledging Him; you must also allow Him to direct your path. It is not just about praying to God, it is about listening to Him; it is about obeying His command.
If you allow God to lead you into your marriage, you will have a marriage devoid of problems and sorrow, but if you fail to acknowledge Him, you may prepare for the trouble of tomorrow.
5. Love: Marry only the person you love and the person you are sure loves you. Love is the foundation of a strong marriage, without it, the family will not stand.
Be very sure you are marrying somebody that loves you; do not negotiate it. Do not marry for sympathy or pressure, marry for Love.
6. Godly Character: Make sure you to know the character of the person you intend to marry. If he or she is having fundamental character flaws, do not marry him or her. If a good home is what you desire, anybody that is given to uncontrollable anger, drunkenness, Unforgiveness, fighting, lying, stealing, unfaithfulness, and so on should not be your mate.
7. Purity: Lay the foundation of your home on purity; avoid pre-marital sex as much as possible.
8. Counsel: Seek counsel before you take any step towards marriage, never do it alone. No matter how wise and anointed you are, you cannot see your back; in the multitude of counsel, there is safety.
9. Godly Courtship: Courtship is the period between the time a lady agrees to marry a man and the time they eventually marry. This period should be in God and it must be based on righteousness. Pre-marital sex is not allowed in Christian courtship; romance should be based on God and God alone. Courtship is the period of learning, praying, planning, preparation, knowing each other. It is a period of introduction (getting to know each other’s friends and families), it is a period of interview (the time to ask questions), not a period of intercourse.
10. Glorious Marriage: Lay a solid foundation for your marriage by having a godly wedding, not from ‘cohabitating to wedding’ type. Do everything right; fulfill all righteousness if you want the right thing to happen to you.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @bisiadewale
Visit our blog: http://www.bisiadewale.com