A candlelight fire in a thatched house in Calabar, the capital of Cross River State, resulted in the death of a one-year-old baby.
On October 9, an incident was reported in the Eta Agbor region of Calabar Municipality.
When NAN arrived in the region, the thatched house was completely destroyed by fire.
Ms. Glory Etim-Akpan, the child’s mother, told NAN that her child was sick, so she went to a nearby pharmacy to acquire drugs and pampers for her, revealing that she left the child, a newborn girl named Kate Dickson, asleep at home while the candles were blazing.
“My baby was having cough and catarrh, so I decided to go out to buy drugs and pampers for her. Before I went out of the house, I lighted a candle on top of a metal plate in our room.
“I didn’t even get to the pharmacy when I was called that our house was on fire. And It was not up to 30 minutes that I left the house.
“Neighbours around heard my baby crying, but they couldn’t intervene. When I came back, we broke the door and I found out that my baby was already burnt to death.
“Also, I lost all my properties including my certificates. The fire burnt down my apartment completely,” she lamented.
According to Etim-Akpan, her life has been shattered because she has nowhere to stay, no food to eat, and no clothes to wear.
Kindly follow us on Twitter
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.