How To Make Simple Homemade Ginger Juice
Ginger juice is a traditional juice from West Africa. Ginger is a healthy root with a number of benefits. Eating it fresh is the best thing to do, even if one can get discouraged when it comes to peeling it.
Homemade ginger juice is refreshingly tangy, minty, and sweet with a zing natural drink made with simple ingredients. Before making some ginger juice, let us look at some of its benefits
Benefits of Ginger
1.Relieves Cold and Congestion
2. Ginger has aphrodisiac properties. In fact, it works primarily as a natural tonic. It can thus have benefits on sexual vigour and be effective in combating states of fatigue.
3. Ginger is low in calories and it also helps reduce appetite and burn fat. Ginger helps dissolve fat and has a thermogenic effect, meaning it produces heat and burns calories.
Ginger is often used to prepare a ginger foot bath which stimulates the liver meridian, reducing abdominal stagnation and improving circulation in the legs, thus helping to lose weight.
4. Ginger improves Digestion
5. Ginger is a rhizome with a spicy and fresh taste, from the same family as turmeric and cardamom, which contains 477 chemical constituents, including ascorbic acid, beta-carotene, lecithin, curcumin, selenium, tryptophan, vitamins groups A, B, C, and K, antioxidants and gingerol, which has a strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action.
6. Although ginger is useful against morning sickness and vomiting, it is not recommended during pregnancy because it can stimulate uterine contractions, especially during the first trimester.
How to make ginger juice
· 4 cups water
· 8 oz. ginger rhizomes
· ⅔ cup sugar
· 1 large lemon (organic), thinly sliced with the peel on
· Mortar and pestle
1. Immerse the rhizomes for a few minutes in cold water.
2. Drain and dry them well.
3. Peel them with a teaspoon.
4. First option (traditional): Using a mortar and pestle, pound the rhizomes until obtaining a paste.
5. Second option: Blend the ginger with ½ cup (100 ml) of lukewarm water.
6. Then, bring the 4 cups (litre) of water to a boil and pour it into a large glass container. Add the ginger paste and the lemon cut into slices then let infuse for 1 hour at room temperature.
7. Filter the infused mixture through cheesecloth to remove the lemon slices and residues that would not be pleasant to taste.
8. Add the sugar and mix well.
9. Pour the ginger juice into a glass bottle or decanter, and set it aside in the refrigerator for several hours.
10. Mix well before serving the drink very cold.
– Once peeled, one can also choose to freeze the ginger clean and cut it into small pieces or grated, or even leave it for up to ten days in the refrigerator.
– Replace sugar with honey, and you have one wholesome detoxifying drink that can either be served hot or cold!
Read Also: HEALTH BENEFITS OF GINGER