1. He is a monster at 1 v 1:Pep spent £98m on Laporte and Aké for their left-footed profile at LCB but Tomiyasu covers all passing angles at LCB and RCB because he’s two-footed along with being inverted FB on either side. He’s also a monster in the air & in 1v1 duels ala Kyle Walker. Special player.
2. He can play anywhere at the back:Pep spent £53m+ on Walker because he’s an elite athlete & reliable technician at inverted fullback, he spent £62m on Dias at RCB for his technique, leadership and athleticism, £98m on Laporte/Aké for the passing angles of a left-footer at LCB. Tomiyasu can do all that for £16m!!
3. He is like Azpilizueta:Did I mention he can play as an inverted left-back too? He’s also a phenomenal character who leads by example. He’s basically Azpilicueta if he had two feet except he’s nearly 6’2, & Azpi is one of the most decorated players in the sport. £16m (SIXTEEN MILLION). Wow, good talent.
4. He has pace:As discussed, Tomiyasu is predominantly right-footed despite his quality on either foot and is, therefore, more suited to playing at RCB. Out of possession, he would also have no issues defending large spaces or the penalty box thanks to his pace, physicality, & measured approach.
5. He is calm:Tomiyasu rarely dives into tackles. He’s like van Dijk stylistically in the sense that he will drop off in an effort to allow players to come back and create a numerical advantage vs the man in possession as opposed to diving in and going for an all or nothing tackle.
6. He is mighty in the air:That defensive profile is invaluable in defensive transition and is largely why he’s so special defensively combined with his obvious pace and strength. Then, when defending the penalty box, he has the height to win headers and the physicality to go toe-to-toe with PL brutes.
7. He is a Conte type of player:The craziest thing about Tomiyasu is Spurs signed Emerson Royal over him who’s just another Serge Aurier except for less rash, but that’s a bang average fullback in comparison to what the top teams have. Conte would’ve loved Tomiyasu in his back 3. Oh well, their loss, Arsenal’s gain.
8. He has it all in his plate:All in all, Arsenal have signed a player for £16m who’s elite defensively as he’s lightning quick, tall, strong and measured in the tackle whilst being elite in possession thanks to his ambipedal nature, braveness to receive possession anywhere AND efficient usage of the ball.
9. He will only get better:That same ability to use both feet enables him to play in any position in the back four to a fantastic standard in line with what Arteta’s system demands and crucially without ruining or harming team dynamics & overall balance. His character is infectious & which means he will improve.
10. He is a born leader:As discussed, Tomiyasu lacks experience at the highest level. He’s only played 61 Serie A games and 19 Premier League games. As such, he’s still raw and still growing. Despite that, he’s already shown special physical and technical qualities but also leadership and braveness.That combination is destined for guaranteed success. In his first away game in the Premier League, he was barking orders at his teammates to remain technically secure despite playing amongst Burnley’s press, excited crowd & physical nature. The guy is so special in every regard.If you asked Pep if he would sign a 23-year-old who can play anywhere across the back four whilst being two-footed, the epitome of efficiency in possession, a leader, and a special athlete for a record defender fee, he’d say yes. Pep signed £200m+ worth of players for that.
Please follow @Familylifeline on Facebook
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.