15 WAYS PEOPLE ARE BEEN ABUSED UNKNOWING TO THEM
You may not think you are being abused if you’re not being hurt physically. But emotional and verbal abuse can have short-term and long-lasting effects that are just as serious as the effects of physical abuse.
Emotional and verbal abuse includes insults and attempts to scare, isolate, or control you. It is also often a sign that physical abuse may follow. Emotional and verbal abuse may also continue if physical abuse starts.
You may be experiencing emotional or verbal abuse if someone :
1. Wants to know what you’re doing all the time and wants you to be in constant contact
2. Demands passwords to things like your phone, email, and social media and shows other signs of digital abuse
3. Acts very jealous, including constantly accusing you of cheating
4. Prevents or discourages you from seeing friends or family
5. Tries to stop you from going to work or school
6. Gets angry in a way that is frightening to you
7. Controls all your finances or how you spend your money
8. Stops you from seeing a doctor
9. Humiliates you in front of others
10. Calls you insulting names (such as “stupid,” “disgusting,” “worthless,” “whore,” or “fat”)
11. Threatens to hurt you or people you care about.
12. Threatens to call the authorities to report you for wrongdoing
13. Threatens to harm himself or herself when upset with you
14. Says things like, “If I can’t have you, then no one can”
15. Decides things for you that you should decide (like what to wear or eat)