10 Functions of Water in Our Body
You can live 5 to 7 weeks without food, but an average adult cannot last for more than 5 days without water. Water is the single most important nutrient for our body.
The many vital functions of water include:
1. Water is essential for maintaining proper fluid balance in the body.
2. Water is the vehicle the body must use to flush out the waste produced in normal body functions.
3. In weight loss, the body requires even more water to break down waste from fat.
4. Adequate water also prevents the buildup of uric acid within the body, which in excess can lead to certain types of arthritis.
5. Water works to keep the skin healthy and resilient. When the body is denied water, there is premature aging and lots of wrinkles to battle with.
6. Many beverages such as coffee and sodas, contains tannic acid, a waste product that interferes with ion absorption and competes for excretion with the other bodily waste products such are uric acid.
Juices do not provide the solid benefits of pure water. Since they require the body to work to process the substances they contain.
7. Water is the only liquid that doesn’t require the body to work to metabolise or excrete it. The body has to work overtime to process and excrete the colourings and chemicals in sodas.
8. Being a mild laxative water is essential for proper bowel function, activating the fibre you eat to form a bulky mass that moves through the GI tract easily and quickly.
9. Water, first thing in the morning makes a great wake up call for your system
10. Water is a natural diuretics.
Water is essential for maintaining muscle tone and allowing muscles to contract naturally, thus preventing dehydration.